If you like to decoupage ornaments then these adorable sleigh ornaments are the perfect Christmas craft for you! It’s an easy project to add to your Handmade Christmas plans this year or as ornament exchange gifts! Trust me, it is easier than it looks.
One great thing about mod podge decoupage crafts is that they don’t have to be perfect. This is one project that the kids can work on with you and still get the desired look. (Sorry kids. Your crafts always are special to me but they don’t always look how I originally envisioned.)
Materials for the DIY Map Ornament
map or atlas
Plain glass or plastic ornament
Santa’s sleigh buttons
(if you can’t find these, or want to make several to give as gifts grab this printable Santa and Sleigh sticker sheet!)
Needle and thread
Hot glue/hot glue gun
Directions for this decoupage Santa Sleigh Ornament
1. Cut small 2″ circles from your map (maybe your favorite places, where you live, or places you want to visit)
2. Paint your clear ornament with mod podge
3. Place your map circles onto your ornament, then paint more mod podge on top
4. Smooth the maps out with your fingers, it’s messy but works best this way
5. Once your ornament is covered completely, let dry for about an hour. If you want to have an extra shiny ornament, paint it with a coat or two of minwax polycrylic high gloss and let dry overnight. (The gloss is my trick for making decoupage succulent planters look store bought!)
6. Now using your needle and thread, thread your buttons and tie off the string (just so they don’t look like empty buttons)
Related: 25 Simply Beautiful Burlap Christmas Crafts and Decor Ideas
If using these printable stickers instead, then place sticker down where you’d want the button. Note* the sleigh is difficult to cut out. I suggest printing it on clear sticker paper or clear vellum and decoupaging it before you add a sealer like Minwax polycrylic.
7. Hot glue your sleigh, and a couple reindeer in front of your sleigh to your map ornament (if you don’t have these or can’t find them, use a sleigh sticker!)
8. Tie a piece of sting to the top of your ornament and place on your Christmas tree!
This adorable decoupage Santa’s Sleigh Ornament is a perfect way to commemorate his trip around the globe!
Easy Decoupage Santa's Sleigh Map Ornament
This easy handmade ornament is perfect for your travel loving friends and family members!
- Glass Ornament Ball
- Mod Podge
- 2" Circle Cutter
- Santa's sleigh buttons or stickers
- Foam brush
- 2 inch Circle cutter
- Using your circle punch, cut 2" circles from your map.
- Use a foam brush to paint your ornament with a layer of mod podge.
- Place your map circles on the glass ball.
- Paint more mod podge over the top of the map circles.
- Smooth the map circles with your fingers.
- Let dry for at least one hour.
- Optional: thread the buttons so they don't look like empty button holes.
- Hot glue the buttons to the ornament or mod podge your stickers on it!
Want to wow your friends and family with more homemade Christmas Ornaments like this one?
Adorable DIY Gumdrop Centerpiece
Faux La La La La: A trio of faux glass ornaments
Pinecone Wreath Christmas Ornament
Do you like to get crafty for Christmas?
My friend Cerys from Rainy Day Mum has an awesome Countdown to Christmas e-book that I love!
Check out this craft supply site I found called Create For Less. They have so many craft supplies at DISCOUNT prices! Many of us craft gifts to save money. Don’t let supplies break your Christmas budget. Take a look at what Create For Less has to offer.
Maybe you don’t have time?
I found these adorable ornaments and Home Decor pieces online that will go well with my tree!First Christmas Wood Slice Ornament
Snowman Christmas Appliance Handle Covers
Have a Merry Debt Free Christmas!
lera come says
What a creative approach. It’s look so freshly and cute!
Amazon sells the sleigh and reindeers
This is adorable! What a great idea!!
What size glass ornament did you use for this project? This novice definately wants to give it a try!
Hi I used the standard glass ball size that is at Michaels!
What an awesome ornament! We’re a big travel family so anything with maps always catches my eye – very creative!
Jacquie recently posted…Christmas Games for Kids: Going on a Gingerbread Hunt
CS Calkins says
DIG this scene…SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! Many thanks for linking up at Lambert’s Lately!
Ellen @ Cutting Tiny Bites says
What a clever idea! I love any excuse to play wtih maps 🙂
Ellen @ Cutting Tiny Bites recently posted…Pink Pinecone Ornaments
this is *so* kick ass!
swapna recently posted…Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments
I love the idea of using an old map as the background! It’s the perfect setting for Santa and his reindeer! #ThoughtfulSpot
Emma recently posted…Top 10 S.T.E.M. Gifts for Kids
This is so adorable! I just love the map idea so much!!!!
Echo recently posted…A Christmas Bear (Personalized Book and Bear) Giveaway!