If you like to decoupage ornaments then these adorable sleigh ornaments are the perfect Christmas craft for you! It’s an easy project to add to your Handmade Christmas plans this year or as ornament exchange gifts! Trust me, it is easier than it looks.
One great thing about mod podge decoupage crafts is that they don’t have to be perfect. This is one project that the kids can work on with you and still get the desired look. (Sorry kids. Your crafts always are special to me but they don’t always look how I originally envisioned.)
Materials for the DIY Map Ornament
Santa’s sleigh buttons
(if you can’t find these, or want to make several to give as gifts grab this printable Santa and Sleigh sticker sheet!)
Needle and thread
Hot glue/hot glue gun
Directions for Easy decoupage Santa Sleigh Ornament
1. Cut small 2″ circles from your map (maybe your favorite places, where you live, or places you want to visit)
2. Paint your clear ornament with mod podge
3. Place your map circles onto your ornament, then paint more mod podge on top
4. Smooth the maps out with your fingers, it’s messy but works best this way
5. Once your ornament is covered completely, let dry for about an hour. If you want to have an extra shiny ornament, paint it with a coat or two of minwax polycrylic high gloss and let dry overnight. (The gloss is my trick for making decoupage succulent planters look store bought!)
6. Now using your needle and thread, thread your buttons and tie off the string (just so they don’t look like empty buttons)
If using these printable stickers instead, then place sticker down where you’d want the button. Note* the sleigh is difficult to cut out. I suggest printing it on clear sticker paper or clear vellum and decoupaging it before you add a sealer like Minwax polycrylic.
8. Tie a piece of sting to the top of your ornament and place on your Christmas tree!
This adorable decoupage Santa’s Sleigh Ornament is a perfect way to commemorate his trip around the globe!
- Glass Ornament Ball
- Mod Podge
- 2" Circle Cutter
- Santa's sleigh buttons or stickers
- Foam brush
- 2" Circle cutter
1. Using your circle punch, cut 2" circles from your map.
2. Use a foam brush to paint your ornament with a layer of mod podge.
3. Place your map circles on the glass ball.
4. Paint more mod podge over the top of the map circles.
5. Smooth the map circles with your fingers.
6. Let dry for at least one hour.
7. Optional: thread the buttons so they don't look like empty button holes.
8. Hot glue the buttons to the ornament or mod podge your stickers on it!
Want to wow your friends and family with more homemade Christmas Ornaments like this one?
Do you like to get crafty for Christmas?
My friend Cerys from Rainy Day Mum has an awesome Countdown to Christmas e-book that I love!
Check out this craft supply site I found called Create For Less. They have so many craft supplies at DISCOUNT prices! Many of us craft gifts to save money. Don’t let supplies break your Christmas budget. Take a look at what Create For Less has to offer.
Maybe you don’t have time?
I found these adorable ornaments and Home Decor pieces online that will go well with my tree!First Christmas Wood Slice Ornament
Have a Merry Debt Free Christmas!