Have you decided that it’s time for a healthier lifestyle but you don’t know where to start? Making the switch to eating clean is an awesome choice, but it can be overwhelming when you first begin.
What can you eat? Will you be hungry? How will you keep it up? How can you live without Oreos?!
These are all questions I had over two years ago when I started on a paleo diet. And while I’m not perfect all the time, I have noticed huge changes in the way I feel. I have more energy, sleep better, and feel better!
So if you too are embarking on a clean eating journey, here are the things that helped me slowly switch to clean eating ways! (Note I’m not a dietician, just a mom always searching for healthy mom hacks!)
5 Clean Eating Tips for Busy Beginners
- Don’t feel like you have to do it all at once – Many do detoxes, and try WHOLE 30 and are shocked at the initial symptoms of withdrawl from sugar and caffeine. I always say take baby steps to better health. Start with one thing that is your Achilles heel, for me coffee. Try without it for a few days. (Tips to cut caffeine.) Then cut sugar. Then the next week wheat, or dairy, or whatever you are trying. I find it’s a gentler way to eat clean and will not be such a shock to your body.
- Meal plan like it’s your job– If you want to stay clean, you have to prepare. “If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.” Seriously, meal plans will save you. You won’t find yourself at Taco Bell because you forgot to pick up something for dinner. Here is a post I wrote to teach you how to meal plan like a boss! You got this! Oh and these clean cheating desserts help too.
- Shop On the Perimeter – Most grocery stores are set up with dairy, eggs, meats, and produce on the perimeter of the store. So if you avoid the middle aisles you will stay on track for clean eating success.
- Prep foods on the weekend – I can’t tell you how important my Sunday meal preps are. I usually make a soup, a paleo set of muffins, some roasted nuts, cut up fruits and veggies, and even blend my smoothies and freeze them for the week.
- Follow your fav clean eating gurus on Instagram and Facebook – It is so important to have support, and I find mine online. There are so many great ideas for clean eats on Insta and Facebook. Follow them, connect, and ask for advice. Also, see if there are any clean eating Facebook groups to help inspire you. There is safety and inspiration in numbers! Gym Craft Laundry’s Fitting in the Fitness Group is a great place to get support.
Good luck as you embark on your clean eating journey. It is possible to rock this new lifestyle as long as you’re ready and doing this for YOU. And if you need some support come find me on Facebook!
Kristen Hewitt is a two-time Emmy Award Winning Reporter and Host for Fox Sports SUN and the Miami HEAT, and writes a parenting and lifestyle blog at KristenHewitt.me (formerly mommy in SPORTS). Her work can also be seen on The Huffington Post, Bundoo, She Knows, Scary Mommy, to name a few, or you can follow her on Facebook & Twitter. Kristen’s favorite job though is raising her two daughters. She tries to teach them to live every day with grace, gratitude, love…and a lot of laughs!