If you want to get your family active and moving, sometimes coming at them with just one idea and forcing it upon them is not the best way to start. People always like when they are given choices. When it comes to family, having more choice will more than likely equate to having more success. Here is some practical advice for parents who want to get their families more active.
If “workouts” are fun then your kids won’t know it’s a workout. Tweet
Quick and easy tips to turn your family into a more active family
1. Take your entire family’s personality into consideration – There may be an uneven number of males as compared to females in your family and you need to take gender, personal preference, and opinions into account. Before descending upon them with your new-found desire to become an active family, think about everyone’s individual needs and desires.
My son loves to play soccer while my daughter has no interest in it whatsoever. She is active in other ways.
2. Be on the same page. Before making changes to your family’s activity level, discuss it with your husband.
3. Let everyone take responsibility for their own choices – Be an example of an active and happy person for your children to follow and then let them decide to join you.
4. Take a vote – Once the initial conversations are over, take a vote on the most popular family activity, and begin planning.
5. Try a little bit of everything – Wouldn’t it be fun to try each family member’s idea or activity on a rotating basis? Here are some ideas:
- You could go bowling every Thursday night, for example, for one month.
- Alternate the following month with a round of volleyball at the beach every Saturday.
- For the bicycle lovers, choose bicycling every Sunday over the summer. Bicycling is a great family outing and gets you and your family active and moving willingly.
- Let one child play on the swings while the other is practicing with their team.
- Race around the track as a family.
- Jog while the kids ride their scooters.
6. Do not be afraid to try something new – If one of your family members suggests ice skating and you are the only one who does not know how – well, maybe it is time to learn. You can take a lesson or two while they skate circles around you.
7. Suggest a camping trip – Put forward this idea while unwittingly knowing that you are going to get your family active and moving by incorporating a nice mountain hike into that trip. Let them be involved in the purchase of equipment.
8. Show that you are enthusiastic and committed – By showing and keeping your enthusiasm, you will keep the positive energy alive. While they may not have a say in the matter of whether or not they will stay active and moving, they do have a say in what they do. Once the momentum starts rolling, it will be hard to stop.
9. Stay consistent – You will set the bar high by letting your family know that this is an ongoing commitment to family fitness and not just a fad.
10. Join a club – By joining a club that offers family activities with something for everyone, you offer everyone the chance to exercise together in the same facility while exercising apart. It is still a fine way to incorporate family activity.
Mixing fun with exercise turns your fitness goals for your family into leisure time and not an obligation! They won’t even realize they are exercising when it is fun.
Bonus tip – Give them a prize worth exercising for! The year we had annual Disney passes, I made it a point to stay physically fit for one reason alone — to be able to push a double stroller or carry a child for the 10 miles of walking during a Disney day. Being in shape to have fun at Disney was a great motivator.
What are some of the ways you get your family to move more? Let me know in the comments!
Resources (affiliate links are provided for your shopping convenience.)
My favorite motion control running shoes:Brooks Ghost
My favorite jogging stroller: Britax