Do your kids have bins full of different art supplies all over the house? Pork Chop and Pea love crafting, coloring their drawings and making
messes memories. Lately, we’ve been turning towards “practical crafts.”
Things like arts and crafts for home decor or fun decoupage projects like this easy do it yourself craft idea–the decoupage art supplies canister holder thingey (that’s the technical term.)
It’s adorable and useful! It would be a great Teacher’s Appreciation gift!
Do It Yourself Craft Ideas: Decoupage Art Supply Holder
- Dollar Store Gift Tube
- 2 pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00LX1JFZQ” locale=”US” tag=”scrugcorne-20″]paper cutter/trimmer[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B001IKES5O” locale=”US” tag=”scrugcorne-20″]mod podge[/easyazon_link]
- acrylic paint –See note about priming
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00V4EG6D6″ locale=”US” tag=”scrugcorne-20″]paint brush[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0006OKGY0″ locale=”US” tag=”scrugcorne-20″]ruler[/easyazon_link]
Remove the ribbon from your gift tube and discard. Separate the tube by pulling it apart.
Use a ruler to measure your body and top of the tube. Cut scrapbook paper accordingly. My body was 12″ x 6-3/8″ and the top was 12″ x 1-5/8″
Use paint to paint the top of the tube. I painted the rolled over section. You can still see the print through my orange paint. Next time I’ll prime it with white paint or I’ll pick a darker color to paint it. Let dry completely.
Using a foam brush, cover your body tube with mod podge. Gently place your large scrapbook paper onto the tube and press firmly, wrapping it around the tube. Add additional mod podge where the paper overlaps and press firmly. Remove any excess mod podge. Let dry completely.
Cut out a small circle for the inside of the top tube. Attach by adding mod podge to the tube and affixing the circle. Use a foam brush and mod podge to affix the scrapbook paper around the top of the tube. Add additional mod podge where it overlaps. Remove any excess and let dry.