I should stop telling people that I am a work from home mom. Frankly, I do most of my work on the go.
Being on the go is what life is like for the busy moms of active families. I see people lamenting and reminiscing about the good old days–before there was social media, cell phones, or the Internet.
I remember how much freedom there was living in a world where I could just get on my bicycle and ride for hours without adult supervision. I felt so free, I would forget that the Air Force Base I was on was enclosed in a barbed wire topped fence and had military police guarding the entrances. I spent long summers in the field behind our house playing soccer with my friends or tag at the park.
I am not a helicopter parent but I am also not a free range parent. I’m a practical parent who rarely hovers but is always present when my children are playing outside. We don’t live on a military installation. In fact, we live down the street from where a little girl the same age as my daughter was brutally assaulted and murdered one day when she walked ahead of her siblings on her way home from school–and this is not a “bad neighborhood.” It’s peaceful and our neighbors are friendly.
So I thank God for being able to run a business and still do everything I need to do without being tied to a desk or a computer. Most days I can literally run my business from the palm of my hand.
How I Work on the Go
- I start my day reviewing my schedule and checking emails.
- I enjoy the weather and the breeze backyard while I brainstorm.
- I whittle away at the 30,000 unread junk emails that I have while parked and waiting for the kids to get out of school.
- I search for great content and schedule those shares on Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook while walking laps around the soccer fields during my son’s hour and a half long practices.
- I go on Instagram while sweating on the elliptical, double tap and engage with my favorite inspirational Instagrammers.
- I listen to podcasts like Problogger and Social Media Examiner while running. Ongoing education is the key to success!
- I dictate drafts to my phone while driving.
- I record periscope and FB live videos while parked in the gym parking lot from my car!
- If I need a video tutorial I use my phone to record outside in natural light.
- Long line at the grocery store? No problem! It’s the perfect time to edit and update an older article.
I do all of that in addition to using my phone for normal mom stuff. I take pictures and videos of my kids at the zoo, beach, park, playing in the front yard, or in the pool.
I live a data driven life and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Facebook and Pinterest are no longer distractions but part of my “job.” I love it.
As you can imagine my data usage is pretty hefty. I need an affordable plan that can keep up with my lifestyle. I got the HTC Desire 626s for only $129.00 and Walmart’s Family Mobile Plan.
Walmart’s Family Mobile Plus plan is perfect. For only $49.88 a month you get unlimited talk text and data up to 10 gigs of 4G LTE service. So if you were looking for a plan that can work as hard as you do on the go then I suggest looking into this one. The Starter Kit, which is normally $25, is now on rollback for $19.88 until July 7th and cheaper than ever before! Plus for each line, you get one free VUDU movie a month, which is a $7.00 value. We use VUDU on our PS4 so this will be perfect for Family Movie Night.
Disclaimer: All prices for phones and plans included in this post are accurate as of the date of posting; however, these prices are subject to change. Please refer to http://cbi.as/3edbl or your local Walmart for current pricing.
Running an online business has a lot more back and work than the average person would imagine. Luckily for the many moms who blog, we can do a lot of that work from nearly anywhere. So don’t stay stuck behind a desk. Go out, have fun, and get some work done too.
Are you interested in learning more about making money with a blog?
Let me share my secrets with you!
How do you work on the go?
Read Let’s collab! for free with Kindle Unlimited or buy it for only $3.99.